Take a look at a few resources to better understand the nature of the conflict against ISIS:
Who are the combatants and what is at stake?
- Friedman explains how this is a battle not against us, but among key Middle East actors. They need to figure it out.
- The long-term failure of jihadist states (David Motadel)
Strategies & Tactics
- Why airstrikes may actually work (Fred Kaplan in Slate)
- Did the US just bomb two different sides in the Syrian civil war?
- The Best Strategy to Handle ISIS: Good Old Containment (National Interest)
- Will it Work? (Elliott Abrams at CFR)
- Here’s why it won’t work. (Zach Beauchamp, Vox)
- Follow these 12 Twitter accounts to understand the US airstrikes in Syria – Vox.
- Now What? A “Room for Debate” on the next steps from four experts.